Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Flower Arrangement of Faith






 Flower Arrangement of Faith

When I was about ten years old my best friend’s mother encouraged me to come with them to a flower show way across town. When there they insisted I also enter a flower arrangement for children my age. I laughed at such a thought! But they insisted that any flower and any vase would do fine.

But when I told my mother she laughed and said, “What a foolish waste of time!”

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love.” John 15:10 NIV

With no support at home I was filled with doubt and certain I would be an embarrassing failure. But it just so happened at this time in my life, God led me to be with this friend and be a part of her whole family who all loved Jesus.

I was wearing my doubt all over my face and the mother of my friend said to me, “Pray and trust in Jesus.”

As I went to search for flowers, all I could find were some late fall chrysanthemums. I knew not to take any of my mother’s vases and only thing I thought would do was a coke bottle! I hid in the garage as I arranged some sprigs from the pine tree, and a few bright yellow mums. Soon my friend’s mother came and off it went to be judged.

The next evening after our supper mother answered the phone and I heard her say, “What? Say that again. She what? Yes, I’ll be sure and tell her.”

My heart gave a big thump in my chest thinking here it comes, my mother is going to tell me she was right, this was a foolish idea.

 To my shock, mother came over to me and gave me a huge hug and said, “You didn’t tell me what you did! Hey! You won! You won a blue ribbon for the most unusual flower arrangement!”

When we keep our hearts filled with hope, with child-like faith we will always find ourselves continually in the keeping of Christ’s precious love. And sometimes too, our prayers may be rewarded in the most surprising and special ways.

The lesson for me was more than winning a blue ribbon for a few faded flowers in a coke bottle ― it was all about how one flower arrangement filled with faith will make us all winners of God’s great faithfulness.

“When in doubt-pause

When fearful-pause

When weary-pause

When stressed-pause

And when you pause-pray.”  

Anonymous

 

“The Flower Arrangement of Faith” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© June 9, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment