Monday, October 24, 2016

The Nightshift




The Nightshift

Oh the joy of holding our great grandson yesterday who is just two weeks old. So soundly he slept that he was oblivious to the commotion of people all around us gathering to enter the sanctuary for church.  He even slept through worship songs sung full of gusto, of the shuffling of feet of the family members carrying him to the front to be dedicated to the Lord and never an eye flutter when the pastor’s deep voice prayed so beautifully over him.
I smiled at the thought of the brand new parents who were probably hoping for a whole night’s sleep too. I wondered to myself, which parent was on the nightshift last night-when in my heart I heard the Lord whisper, “I was, of course.”

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe.”

Psalm 4:8 NLT

Sleeping like a baby is what we desire the most in those long nights when sleep won’t come. Who hasn’t wondered, did God really hear the urgency of my prayer? Is He working on it?

 What we can’t see with our eyes, we can be sure of in our heart―when it seems God is the quietest, He is quietly working on our behalf.

 In those times when sleep won’t come let us be surprised all over again and again to find that sleep comes as His peace fills us when we simply call out His Name in the night.

 We don’t ever have to guess who is on the nightshift watching over us. I am witness to this miracle many times and I can’t explain the peace that fills me, but I can declare with joy― its God! And I know God is on the nightshift once again.

 “Only God knows how long the night will be, but you can be absolutely certain that He is at work in the darkness. When you lay your head on your pillow tonight, cast your cares on Him and rest in the solid truth that He is working for your good!” Sheila Walsh, from 5 Minutes with Jesus.

 

“Nightshift” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© October 24, 2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment