Tuesday, April 14, 2015

No River Alone

'
No River Alone

It was 5 AM in mid-July at a camp ground on eastern border of Washington State and Idaho. I’d slipped out of bed quietly so as not to waken husband Bill. With great anticipation I grabbed my camera to catch the sunrise over the beautiful Pend Oreille River.

 
I wondered as I made my way to the edge of the cliff overlooking the river, what message the Lord would have for me today. So often I have discovered He has a lesson for me in the parables of His creation. 

 
I looked up into the sky for Osprey or the local Bald Eagle, and neither was there. I gazed down upon the river and smiled in delight―for coming out of the reeds along the river were eight little goslings were hesitantly wading into the shallows of the river. But they weren’t alone, in front of the flock of these beautiful Canadian Geese is mother goose and behind gooslings is father goose giving the last little hesitant gosling a nudge into the water.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;

 I will counsel you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8 NIV


The goslings instinctively gathered close together as they dipped one by one into the quiet river’s edge. Like feathered body guards, the parents act as a shield from predators as they swim before and behind their young. The goslings can swim in confidence, they know they never face the river alone.  

 
Sometimes life is smooth paddling in safe, familiar waters for us and our families and friends; but quite often we find ourselves trying to swim in unfamiliar and challenging rivers of unexpected circumstances. In those times it’s good to remember Who is watching over us too.

Parents of the goslings know strength and courage isn’t built in the shallows and safe harbors of the rivers. And it’s so true for us too. If we put our trust in the promises of the Lord we are assured He’ll provide for us the best river guide we’ll ever need, a heavenly wise and able Teacher― His Holy Spirit. 

 
In the glow of the sunrise, in the whisper of the winds in the reeds along the river where little goslings adventure for the first time, is God’s magnificent promise, His lesson for the day ―we will never face our rivers alone.

 

“No River Alone” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© July 4, 2014 reprinted April 14, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment