Saturday, December 5, 2015

A Heavenly Shield



Fingers of God Photo by Dee Kamp
 
 

A Heavenly Shield

 
It’s raining hard today and in the Northwest we often choose an umbrella, or the hood on a coat to shield us as we venture forth. But sometimes we need a heavenly shield as we face the unexpected that can come along the way.


"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.

Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Psalm 5:11-12 NIV

I bundled up in several layers of sweaters, gloves, boots and hat for the walk down to the beach trail over Thanksgiving weekend to spend some quiet time alone along the sea shore with God. It was very cold in the low 20’s, but there was sunshine and no wind. To us in the Pacific Northwest, it’s a perfect time to enjoy the beach.

After a delightful long walk keeping an eye on the every present winter tide pushing in, I stopped for a while and sat upon a huge old cedar log that had rolled ashore on some past storm. Prayer and praise came easily on such a delightful day and I was filled with joy and peace.

I paused a moment before the trail back to camp to watch a some people let their two big breed dogs out of their car to run loose to go play near the surf. I even took a photo of them with my l close up lens and laughed at their folly of leaping and spinning around in such crazy dog happiness. But in an instant the temperament of one dog suddenly changed.

The biggest dog, a German shepherd, raced towards me with not the expected wagging of the tail or that goofy smile they can sometimes get when happy, but with a threatening posture, his head lowered and his tail held low.

I stood perfectly still holding a strong posture praying he would calm down at the last minute. He circled me barking angrily. Several times he tried to push in closer teeth barred to nip at my heels. Around and around he went and out of the corner of my eye I saw him push in to get closer and I held my breath― but oddly he came to a sudden halt instead. It was as if there was a shield around me he could not get beyond. He shook his head confused, and finally the call of his master got his attention and he dashed away.

Though I was shook by the incidence, I felt no fear and a strong sense of peace had flooded over me. I can’t explain the dog not being able to reach me, but what I do choose to believe―is that on this day there was a heavenly shield sent by God around me.

“Strengthen yourself in the Omnipotence of God. Do not say “Is God able?” Say, rather, “God is able.”- Andrew Murray

 “Heavenly Shield” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© December 5, 2015

 

No comments:

Post a Comment