Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Carry Our Inability to the Ability of God


 


Carry Our Inability to the Ability of God

 I was about fourteen years old and I was standing alone in the hallway of the clinic shaking all over from what had just happened and wondering , was my brother going to be all right?

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us…” Ephesians 3:20 NIV

 I was the oldest of my siblings and taught well by my mother how to care for them. When she was away on an errands I often was left to take care of them for a short time. In those days you had neighbors watching over you all the time too. But on this particular day I had more than neighbors watching over me and my little brother.  

 It was a sunny summer day and my two little brothers were playing in what we called the woods. In fact it was nothing more than several acres of over grown scotch broom.  In this natural playground was a gigantic rock the kids called big rock and it was the major point of many climbing challenges. It was a rite of passage to be able to climb up to the top of it and all the children tried and tried until one day they mastered it.

 On this day particular day, when mother was away, that’s exactly what my youngest brother was attempting to do when he slid down the rock in a flash and a thick branch growing nearby caught him in the throat cutting him deeply.

 I heard kids yelling, I ran outside our house to find a group of them jumping up and down frantically. “Hurry up, he’s cut himself bad!”

My heart was pounding and I pushed back branches and fled to big rock. I saw my little brother lying on the ground with a gash across his throat. That’s when I realized that when I went out the door at home I had grabbed one of mother’s freshly cleaned and ironed dish towels and now I got the sense I was to press it tight across the cut. I put his hand on it and told him to hold it there and carefully I lifted my brother up into my arms and ran for home. He weighed half my weight, but I never noticed it all as I hurried along.
A mother from next door was already there when I arrived, having heard the story from the children on the block. One look at my brother and she threw open her car door and said “get in now- we need a doctor.”

“One nick closer on his throat and it would have been a disaster,” the doctor said to me in the hallway later. “Good thinking on the pressure from the towel, but how on earth were you able to run that far carrying your brother- you're such a little thing?”

I had nothing to say, but I’ll never forget what the mother who brought me there said, “It wasn’t her strength, but it was the strength of Lord who made her able to do it.”

 “Able is the Greek word dunatos, related to dunamis, meaning ability, abundance, capability, mighty works, miraculous power, prevailing strength. “God is able” means God has the mighty power to do a miraculous work out of His abundance and strength…Let us bring our inability to the ability to God.” Sylvia Gunter-“The Father’s Business”

“Carry Our Inability to the Ability of God” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© April 27, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment