Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Through the Eyes of a Stranger


Mt Rainier by Dee Kamp
 
 
Through the Eyes of a Stranger

 You who bring good news to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who bring good news to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with a shout, lift it up, do not be afraid; say to the towns of Judah, “Here is your God!”” Isaiah 40:9 NIV

 

The bus tour for seniors was on a short break from the journey to Crystal Mountain. As the others climbed off the bus enthusiastically heading to a local Starbucks I noticed one woman I thought to be in her mid-eighties, stayed behind watching as the others dashed across the road for their refreshment.

We visited a bit and then she said shyly, “I really can’t walk that far very well on my own and I’d sure like to go there too. But I’m worried about crossing the street as I walk a bit uneven these days.”

I smiled at her and said, “Let’s go together!” She graciously accepted my arm and we crossed the street and then back again chatting merrily like old friends.  

The next time I saw her was when we were directed to stand in line for the gondola ride up the highest slope used for skiing at Crystal Mountain ski area. There we stood stunned, with our jaws hanging open gaping at the gondolas climbing up an extraordinary mountain! “I had no idea it was going to be that high up,” I said.

 My new friend exclaimed, “Am I going way up there?”

“Not only that,” I said, “but the gondola is in constant motion when we are to get on aboard!”

I knew that would be a challenge for her with her unstable condition. But before I could utter another word she grabbed my arm and said, “Well then, let’s get on with it.”

We made it onto the ever moving gondola safely and off again too. When we turned to look around us at the view we both just stood in silence. There to our surprise was Mt Rainier― all 14, 411 feet of it, feeling as if it were only feet away!

For a moment I thought my new friend would tumble over as her legs began to wobble and her cane hit the ground. I grabbed hold of her just in time and asked, “Are you all right?”

She turned to look at me and to my surprise tears were streaming down her face.

“It’s the mountain of God, its God in the mountain,” she said softly. “I just want to sing to God right now, right here, a great old hymn of praise to His Majesty!”

I was delighted at her unabashed expression of joy and love for the Lord. It just made the experience a heavenly one. My heart was overflowing with the joy of the Lord.

This day I didn’t just go for a ride up a mountain and see a tall snowcapped mountain. No, God surprised me to see His majesty glorified through the eyes of a stranger.  For everyone who truly sees nature as God’s creation, sees God in it.

“Through the Eyes of a Stranger” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© July 21, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment