Friday, August 1, 2014

Light in the Valley


Sunrise in the Rocky Mountains by Dee Kamp
 
Light in the Valley

Several years ago we spent several days up in the Colorado Rocky Mountains with our family. We were camped in a valley on a reservoir surrounded on every side by the imposing and beautiful high peak mountains.

For most of our time camping the days were filled blue skies and the weather perfect for all our outdoor activities. Then there came a sudden change in the weather. A typical mountain thunderstorm began to make its presence know as it boomed like a drum and echoed off the hills.  At mid-day it became like night and to my shock― two tornadoes appeared high up on the horizon!

The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone.

The light shines in the darkness and the darkness can never extinguish it.”

John 1: 4-5 NLT

Boaters scurried off the water, tents were folded up and recreational vehicles pulled down awnings. Our valley had grown very, very dark and I prayed for the storm to pass, to leave us safe and let the light to return to us once again.

 

The storm passed over us hard and fast and the tornadoes only spun high touching hills and taking off in crazy dizzy disorder to some other faraway place.

 

The next morning Bill and I were packing up when it was still dark to head to our next planned destination. As I put the last things away into the motor home I turned around and caught my breath at the sight of the most amazing sunrise. The sun pushed and powered its way up behind the great Colorado Peaks with boundless brilliance shooting rays of light like fingers of fire spreading over inch of the valley making all darkness flee in an instant!

 

 I ran for my camera and caught more than a photo I literally saw the Light. I heard Jesus whisper in my heart, “I am the Light in all your valleys, trust and follow Me, I’ll shine the way.”  

When the way in the valley is dark with fear

When there are no stars or light of day

When you are certain you’ve lost your way

Rest assured God’s gift of Light is always near

 

“Light in the Valley” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© August 1 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment