Monday, July 6, 2015

Don't Borrow From Tomorrow


 
washtub filled with flowers Sanborn Iowa by Dee Kamp
 



Don't Borrow From Tomorrow!
 

"I'm a professional worrier," my new neighbor recently confessed to me. I discovered this to be sadly true. She was so preoccupied with her worries for tomorrow she couldn't tell you what was going on around her today.

My grandma use to say, "If you borrow a cup of worry from tomorrow you'll lose a pound of joy today."

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT).

When waves of worry wheedle and worm themselves into our heart, take heart. When we call out the name of Jesus we will sense an instant release from worry that we can never do by our own efforts.

When my husband was often in the hospital for treatments I started carrying a tiny notebook of encouraging Scripture verses to read while time dragged anxiousness thoughts upon me. Oh how sweet a release it is to sense the nearness of the Lord in those moments.

Storing God’s Word in our heart is preferable, but also keeping His Word handy and visible will whisk worry away like sweeping away those dust bunnies from under the bed. Let the Word of God push worry out of the way and allow the Lord’s promises of peace fill up your heart every time.

 

“Said the Robin to the Sparrow:

“I should really like to know

Why these anxious human beings

Rush about and worry so.”

Said the Sparrow to the Robin,

“Friend, I think that it must be,

That they have no heavenly Father,

Such as cares for you and me.”

Elizabeth Cheney

 

“Don’t Borrow from Tomorrow” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© July 6, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment