Thursday, May 12, 2016

Like a Child with a Broken Bear



little boy on the beach by Dee Kamp
 
 

Like A Child with a Broken Bear

When my son was still a toddler he had a favorite stuffed animal he dragged around constantly. His constant pal went from sandbox to bed. In this case it was a Pooh Bear.
 
Pooh was mustard yellow, sported a black button nose, button eyes and a sweet stitched permanent smile on his face. Who wouldn't like that Pooh Bear? He was always happy to see you and always liked you, and for an only child, the best companion to share his adventures with every day.

One day he came rushing up to me and handed me Poo Bear saying with tears streaming down his face, "Fix him mommy!"

In those days I always had some sewing in my lap. Either making clothes or gifts and this little child of mine thought I could sew and fix anything with thread, including one Poo Bear now missing its nose by some wild adventure in the back yard.

I smiled and told him, Poo may not look quite the same when I’m fix him you know, his button nose is broken and I’ll have to find a different button.”

 I could see he was working hard on the decision whether or not to hand over his friend and trust me with him. But in the next moment he handed the bear over with a big smile he said, "You fix him, mommy, I know you can.”
 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6-7 NIV).

Those things I bring in prayer each day to my Father are well-worn worries, torn relationships, lost hope with some broken promises, and sometimes broken dreams. He listens with great love, and He lets me tell it all like a child with a broken bear. I’m encouraged to remember His promises, and prompted to leave them all in His hands and not pick them up again, just like the faith of a child would, just like a little child I once knew way back when.

 "As children bring their broken toys,
with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God,
Because he was my friend.
But then, instead of leaving Him
In peace, to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help,
With ways that were my own.
At last, I snatched them back and cried,
"How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said,
"What could I do?
You never did let go?"
Kingstone

 

“Like a Child with a Broken Bear” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© May 12, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment