Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Flower Called Hope



 
A Flower Called Hope
It was early June and the mountain air in Yosemite Park was still cool and crisp. We were huddled inside our coats as we traveled in the open air tourist tram. It was a fascinating excursion which included a fine lecture by the park ranger at the helm. 

 Piled below the giant Sequoias were heaps of snow. “I’m so disappointed,” I said to my husband, “I have little hope now of getting any good photos of wild flowers here, it’s too early in the season and too cold for them yet.”

 But little did I know then, God had a surprise coming up just around the bend.

And hope does not disappoint us,
because God has poured out his love
 into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”
Romans 5:5 NIV

As the tour on the tram drove us through huge Sequoias the park ranger delivered very interesting information and pointed out sights for us to see. She said, “There’s an odd looking red coned shaped flower which we look for with great earnest this time of year. The old legend goes that in these mountains when you first see it, it will give one great hope —for it means winter is finally past! I haven’t seen one yet, so keep your eyes on the out there for one.”

 Not far along we were stopping to observe one of the oldest Sequoias in the land but before my eyes sought this tree I spotted something on the bank across the road. Oh my goodness I gave out a shout, “There it is, the flower you spoke of!”

“That’s it!” the ranger cried out excitedly.  “It’s called the snow flower! But I’d rename it if I could,” she said. “I’d call it, the flower of hope.”

 We can’t see it with our eyes sprouting up under the trees, but faith and hope are real and God will surprise us with its flower just when we need it the most. 

 There is no snow too deep, no mountain too high, and no heart too sad or broken for God’s flower of hope to rise within us.

 “Brave your storm with firm endeavor,
Let your vain repining go!
Hopeful hearts will find forever
Roses underneath the snow.” —Cooper

 

“A Flower Called Hope” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© January 11, 2017 reprint from: Grace Every Morning, April 10, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment