Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Trouble Came Knocking at the Door


photo by : Dee Kamp
 
Trouble Came Knocking at the Door

An urgent knocking on our motor home door startled us both so much we were caused to flip fast right out of recliners the other day!

“Who can that be? What’s wrong?” we asked each other in unison. My husband headed to the door and open it up and a blast of artic wind nearly ripped the door right out of his hand! Mercy, but the wind was strong and howling.

 There standing at the foot of the steps was a woman we did not know. She was up wrapped in many layers of clothing and leaning hard on a cane with one hand while holding on to her hat with the other hand.

“Can you help us?” I heard her muffled appeal. “We are your neighbors and my friend took the dog to the beach for a walk.  I have no idea how it happened, but now the dog is locked inside the car and the car engine is running!”
I was so proud of Bill. He said without hesitation, “Just give me a second to get my shoes and coat on and we’ll go.”

 When you live full time in a recreation vehicle and stay awhile here and there, in one park after another you can sometimes go for days without actually talking to the others who are parked nearby. But it is an unwritten law that if you ever need a hand you can count on your neighbor for help.

36 Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” Luke 10:36-37 NIV

I love this lesson from Jesus about the Good Samaritan. Things really haven’t changed much with people after all these years either. There are people who don’t worship like us, live a life style we may not approve of, may be someone you wouldn’t hang out with ―but mercy for another dissolves all these concerns in seconds when someone needs a helping hand.

 I’m happy to report, the tide didn’t sweep the motor running car and dog away out to sea. Bill got there in time. Yes, they were grateful, but we know if we need anything, anytime, anywhere the good deed will one day be returned.  Nothing shows others who we are more than by the deeds we do in the love of Jesus. Trouble came knocking at the door that day, but God’s mercy answered the call.

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Henry Drummond

 

“Trouble Came Knocking at the Door” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© January 4, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment