Thursday, March 16, 2017

Of Winds Tides and Prayer


Astoria Bridge -Oregon- on a calm day by Dee Kamp
 
Of Winds Tides and Prayer
We hadn’t really planned to spend our winter by the Pacific Ocean in Washington and Oregon, but we are glad in many ways we did. Life here is different than inland and you find you plan your day quite often by weather, winds and tides.

This morning we woke to a surprise storm with strong gale winds. Normally that wouldn’t be a problem. But today we had planned to cross the bridge in Astoria Oregon to the Washington side and those high winds could be a real problem for big trucks and motor homes.
Where can one go to find assurance of God’s love and understanding when we face the unknown winds? Without fail, our Bible. We prayed and asked the Lord to give us a word of assurance and wisdom. Now this doesn’t happen often, but oh my, what a delight when it does― for when I opened my Bible it fell open to Isaiah 43.  
But now, this is what the LORD says- He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you….For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;…Isaiah 43:1-2 NIV
And that’s all we needed for perfect peace knowing God was watching over us. But we also sensed that we were not to rush but wait a day.

A bit later as I was reading a favorite old devotional, Springs in the Desert, I came across this poem. Coincidence? I don’t call them that, I call them God’s wonderful surprises! I laughed out loud as I imagined God whispering in my heart- “After all, you aren’t an albatross!
“Far out at sea, at close of day,
A lovely albatross flew by.
We watched him as he soared away-
A speck against the glowing sky!
Thought I: Tis lordly feathered one
Is trusting I the faithfulness
Of wind and tide, of star and sun;
And shall I trust the Maker less?
O soul of mine, spread wide thy wings:
Mount up; push out with courage strong
Let heaven vibrate with thy song!
SPEREAD WIDE THY WINGS, O SOUL OF MINE…
From: Springs in the Valley by Mrs. Charles E Cowman

 

“Of Winds Tides and Prayer” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© March 16, 2017 Photo by: Dee Kamp

No comments:

Post a Comment