Friday, December 27, 2013

The Survival Kit List

White Water Lilly by Dee Kamp
 
The Survival Kit List
 
“Oh that junk drawer!” I bemoaned on a recent cleaning spree.  My big junk drawer is more like a time capsule. There are things stuffed in there from as far back as when my children were young!
 As I was about to give up sorting for the day I discovered a wrinkled up piece of paper with some typing on it.  My goodness, this was typed on my mother’s old standard typewriter! 
 I smiled as I read the title: List for the Survival Kit Bag. It called for a match, a tea bag, a starburst candy piece, a tooth pick and an erasure. I was quite sure this was not a list from the Red Cross!
The things on the list had a bit of humor and a lot of good merit. I realized that everything on the list for the survival kit could be found in God’s Word! So I re-wrote the list to fill a bag with little goodies and called it ”God’s Little Survival Kit”.
 
God’s Little Survival Kit
A MATCH: For when you feel in the dark to produce some light to remind you:
  •  I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.” John 12:46
A TEA BAG: For when you are weary to remind you to rest, and find His rest any time you need it.
  • Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you we are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
  •  Matthew: 11:28
A STARBURST CANDY: For when you need that burst of strength when yours is gone.
  • The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.” Habakkuk 3:19
A TOOTHPICK: to pick out the good qualities in others.
  • “Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.” Colossians 3:14-15
AN ERASER: To remind you everyone makes mistakes.
  • Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.”  Luke 6:37
A MINT: To remind you that you are worth a mint, a million even more!
  • “What is the price of two sparrows-one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.”  Matthew 10:29-30
 
God’s little survival kit is the Bible. It’s never out of date; it’s encouraging, dependable, applicable, and reliable. I’ve handed these little survival bags to friends, families and even strangers.

Feel free to copy the list and then fill up a little bag with these items and include others that come to mind too! We all need from to time a survival kit message.

 
“The Survival Kit List” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© December 27, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment