Thursday, January 16, 2014

Take the Long Way Home


Teal Lake by Dee Kamp
 
 
Take the Long Way Home

The other morning was one of those times I was struggling to find peace with the things that were heavy on my heart.  I spent a precious time with the Lord reading His Word and I felt a heavenly nudge to read Psalm 23. This Psalm always quiets my anxious heart. But on this day I only sighed as I read it. For the first time I just couldn’t see the beautiful word picture of this Psalm in the way it has always comforted me in the past. Little did I know then that the Lord was going to lead me to the real thing!

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

 he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.”

Psalm 23:1-3 NIV

I had an errand to run to the local post office in the village about five miles away. I drove my normal route down the highway and quickly finished the task. But when I got into the car to return home I heard in my heart, “Take the long way home”.

Why not? I thought, I am not in any hurry.

This longer way home winds its way up a little two lane road between the tall firs, hemlock and cedar trees. At the top of the hill is a little lake called Teal Lake. There are no houses or summer cabins around the lake and seldom visited in the winter.

 I forgot how I use to enjoy coming here years ago.  Without thinking twice I turned my car into the deserted parking lot, grabbed my camera and headed down to the little fishing dock. There wasn’t a sound, there was not a breeze and what I saw next made me catch my breath.

The lake was a beautiful mirror reflecting all the trees and the sky in picture-perfect splendor. I had been led to find rest by the still waters by my Shepherd.  Alone with God I sang to Him the 23rd Psalm and laughed in delight at this unexpected encounter.

Sometimes it’s good to take the long way home and listen to one’s heart for that is where He lives. God knows our heart and He is faithful to provide just what we need to lift up our spirits, to increase our faith and to surprise us with His love in the most unexpected ways.

 “Take the Long Way Home” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© January 16, 2014

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment