Thursday, October 16, 2014

Stitch by Stitch



Campground by moon light by Dee Kamp
Stich by Stich
I first saw her on my early morning walk sitting at a campground picnic table all bundled up against the mountainside chill. I was surprised someone else was up before dawn and outside too. But it was not this so much that caught my attention as did the huge Bible she was bent over in prayer.

I couldn’t resist dropping by and saying hello to introduce myself and share I too was a believer. She smiled warmly and invited me to sit down and visit. What a lovely divine appointment God had in store for me that day, what an interesting story and testimony she was about to share.  

Then the master told the servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full.’” Luke 14:23 NIV

She invited me to sit down at her table and her most interesting story of faith began.

 “I’m recently widowed and living in this camper traveling the roads in obedience to God’s calling. You see my husband died young and un-expectantly from cancer. To pay all the bills I had to sell the house and what I had left was this camper and a lifetime camping membership around the USA. My best memories of my husband are while we were camping and traveling.
“When I prayed with my Bible study group at church for help on what to do and where to live, they shared with me Luke 14:23, a word from God they said. This was a real puzzlement to me then, I had no idea what that meant.

“But God was faithful to take me step and step and soon His plan unfolded as I continued to pray and I grew to know for certain the Lord wanted me to witness and be among other travelers as I drove around this country in my camper.
“So I asked the Lord, be among them and do what exactly what Lord? I’m not a pastor or trained speaker, not even a teacher.”

“That’s when I heard Him in my heart say- crochet!”

“Well it’s something I love and know how to do well, but it still wasn’t very clear how you share the Lord with stitches and not words.
“As I shared this plan of the Lord with my family and prayer group I was greatly encouraged to go and do it! Pretty soon I had enough donated yarn and needles to crochet dozens of afghan blankets! I give them all away these days to anyone who wants them or I see they need one.

 “I don’t speak to others about Jesus with words, but with stitches now. I simply go somewhere in the campground or where others are gathered, crochet and sit quietly. Pretty soon someone joins me and they begin to talk and share and I just listen giving no advice but simply asking if they would like me to pray for them. I’ve not had one say no, they always accept.”
What an encouraging testimony this was to me and many. And she shared God’s miracles and divine appointments providing help I the nick of time from food, gas, tires and of course, more yarn to stitch.

We can truly count on God to create good from hard unforeseen circumstances and adversities in life when we turn to Him for everything and with a heart to serve Him. He meets us where we are, and sometimes He will uproot a person from their home to plant seeds of faith across the nation stitch by stich. 

“Stitch by Stitch” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© October 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment