Thursday, November 20, 2014

Honesty Is the Best Policy


Sonoma Vineyard Grapes Photo by Dee Kamp
 
Honesty Is the Best Policy

It was a quick stop at Costco-honest.  The basket wasn’t bulging with bargains and I felt like I had feathers instead of feet as I unloaded my mere three items purchased that day. It was a day of accomplished errands done as planned ―or so I thought until I got home!

But as for me and my household we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15 NIV

Whenever I walk into my kitchen my eyes always look above the window and rest with on those words from Joshua 24:15.  

On this particular day, after driving several miles and several hours away from home on my errands, the discipline and obedience to keep my promise to God would mean a special effort, time and inconvenience.

Glancing at the sales slip from Costco I noticed that one item had not been rung up! How did it get missed by the person at the door? “Oh, well, I said to my husband, “I’ll just take care of it when I’m back that way in a couple of days.”

 But I was completely unprepared for the response at the checkout line when I got there to pay for the item! I explained what happened and showed the checker the item she needed to ring up was missing. She just stared at me and said, “Why? Why did you bother to come back?”

Out of my mouth flew, “Because my mother raised me right I guess." I said with a nervous laugh.

She was so perplexed that she called over her supervisor. Now people were stretching their necks to see what the holdup was and I felt the pressure of delaying them.  The supervisor stared at the sales slip, and then up at me for some time. I really felt the line behind me closing in and the man who boxes up things seemed to be enjoying all this tremendously nodding and smiling oddly.

Shaking her head the supervisor said, “Really? You came back all this way to pay for this? Well okay then, we hardly see such honesty.”

Goodness, now I’m embarrassed at all the attention and the supervisor made me feel foolish besides. The cashier rung up the unpaid item and said, “My goodness, you just made my day.”

T’was not to be the end of this surprising reaction by so many. I got the to the door where the person marks off your sales slip and sure enough the woman stopped and looked at me puzzled. I filled her in to the oversight.  She too shook her head and looked up at me and said, “Thank you for your honesty. It’s refreshing!”

I started laughing at all the fuss on the way to my car, but in a way this all made me feel sad too. I know lots and lots of honest people in our family and our community, but it was obvious to me now the world out there sees less and less of it.

I had no idea the Lord was going to use me as an example that day. Certainly it was a good lesson for me to realize even the smallest oversight of a payment matters to God. Nothing is missed by God, and He is able to use our obedience to serve Him in many unique and surprising ways. Honesty is still is the best policy to show others Jesus is in our hearts every day.

 “Honesty Is the Best Policy” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© November 20, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment