Monday, November 3, 2014

With God Expect the Unexpected

pretty quilts by Dee Kamp
 
With God Expect the Unexpected

Have you ever felt the Spirit nudging you to take another way to your destination? Perhaps even a side road, one less traveled? When you do, expect God to surprise you and perhaps, bless another.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:8 NIV

I had been browsing a local book store and about to turn right up the hill to go home on the freeway when I heard, not an audible voice, but surely a clear prompting that said, “Go left”. Well, sure enough at the same time the voice of reason tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Certainly not!” But again, there it was, a very strong feeling I should go left down the road past the little church on the corner.

As I drove along I was surprised to see a woman sitting all alone at a table in the parking lot of the church with hanging displays of beautifully handmade quilts.

“Lord,” I said to myself, “I don’t have enough cash on me to buy a quilt!” But I turned into the parking lot anyway. There I discovered the quilts weren’t for sale but were being raffled off to raise money to benefit the homeless in the area.

I chatted with the woman a moment, and we shared our faith and our love of serving the Lord. I bought tickets with what cash I had and then she shyly asked me a question that did surprise me!

“Would you sit at my table a moment? I really need to go into the church and use the restroom. I’ve been out here for hours. I was just praying someone would remember me out here and come and help me out from the church, but here you are instead!”

Well of course I offered to watch the table and sell the tickets. I chuckled to myself at this delightful turn of events and the meeting of a new friend. What a good feeling to help another in such a humble and simple way. With God, we can always expect the unexpected.

 “O My child, let Me speak to thee, and let My Spirit direct thy life. I may lead you in unexpected ways, and ask things of you that are startling, but I will never guide you amiss. Across thy path shall fall the shadow of My hand, and wheresoever I direct thee, there shall ye see My power at work, there shall come forth from thy ministry that which shall glorify Me.” ―Frances J Roberts from: Come Away My Beloved

“With God, Expect the Unexpected” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© November 3, 2014

 

No comments:

Post a Comment