Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Mystery of Strangers and Rainbows


Rainbow over the Poulsbo Marina by Dee Kamp
The Mystery of Strangers and Rainbows

            In the years following the first time it happened, and now in the surprising event of a second time, I am convinced of two things: God knows when, how and where one needs to see an expression of His love― reminder He is always watching over us.  In both cases, there was a surprising divine appointment with a stranger, and a beautiful rainbow!  

            I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is a sign of my covenant with you and with the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you, and with al living creatures…” Genesis9:13-16 NLT

            The first time God sent a messenger who pointed out a rainbow was of all things as I was pumping gas at a little country service station. I was tearful and filled with sorrow standing there in the drizzling rain. I had just left visiting my son’s grave site, who had died only weeks before.

            As I stood there holding the gas hose to the car I heard someone speaking and then suddenly appearing from around the other side of the gas pumps. I turned to see a short perky looking fellow of middle age waving like crazy and smiling!

            I wasn’t in the mood for conversation but he finally caught my attention as he declared “It’s a beautiful day isn’t it? Have you noticed that rainbow over head of us? It’s a good thing for us to look up now and then or we might miss God’s gift of the rainbow.”  

            The moment I looked I indeed saw the rainbow improbably overhead.  When I turned around to share my delight in it, he was no longer there. I smiled then, my spirits greatly lifted, I thanked God for such a timely meeting of a stranger and the rainbow.

            Just a few weeks ago I was down and very blue walking to my car from a doctor’s appointment seeking relief from days of suffering with back pain. I hobbled to the car, head down trying to stay dry in the rain but was suddenly stopped by the shout of a man waving his arms and running my way!

            “Look! Look over there! Come and see what God has gifted us today!” I just stood there a moment in surprise at the excitement of this stranger, a young man who looked to be a seaman from one of the moored boats at the dock. With a huge smile, and waving his arms over head, he kept insisting I follow him around the corner of the building.

            And there to my amazement was the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen. The rainbow arched over the marina and touched down upon the water.

             I smiled as the memory of the rainbow and the stranger of years ago came to my mind. I knew once again what I knew years ago, God watches over us all the time, we never walk alone. And sometimes He’ll send a stranger to deliver this message His rainbow as a promise.  

Our strength and our hope is in the Lord

We can depend upon His Word

And though we may feel despair

We know we’re always kept within His care.

 

“The Mystery of Strangers and Rainbows” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© January 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment