Friday, January 2, 2015

Two Sisters One Kite



Photo by Dee Kamp

Two Sisters One Kite

It’s a cold frosty morning and the sun seems to have slept in. I’m waiting for day light so I can begin my day when I get ping on my phone I have a message from my sister in Eastern Washington. I had just been thinking about the two of us flying a crazy kite at the beach years ago. To my surprise that is what she was thinking about too! It made me giggle in delight to remember that day and the surprise was not in us being able to fly a kite but who would say something about it to us about it.

 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.” Hebrews 2:1-3 NLT.

It was a windy day at the ocean in May with gusts that blew the hat right off your head. It was a coincidence that my sister, my dad and step mom were also staying at the beach at the same time we were too. On impulse I bought one of those dime-store kiddy kites thinking maybe Shelly and I could be crazy enough to try and fly it. But both of us were pretty gimpy these days, me with a cranky knee and her with arthritis. What was I thinking?

The moment we began to put the kite together neither one of us gave a thought to our incapacities. We just gave it all to the Lord and pressed on with a plan to fly the kite no matter what. Problem was we were not even able to assembly it correctly! After many hysterically fits of laughter my dear husband stepped in and corrected our mess! Out the door we went, two middle aged women and one misshapen kite forgetting all our cares and doing what we would have thought impossible back home.  But one thing we didn’t count on, or even give a thought to was we might be being observed by others. The pink kite with the big heart on it soared easily into the sky! We ran back and forth and even flew it all the way back to her condo surprising our father and mother!

As we were packing up to leave the next day an elderly couple who had had a large family gathering at the campground came over to us and said, “Your joy of life and your laughter lifted our spirits more than you can know. Some of us came here with heavy hearts and your joy was contagious in a very good way. It took our minds off our worries.”

I thank God still today that my sister and I simply let go and trust in God leading us to simply enjoy life. It’s the little things in life which bring us much joy and laughter- and we never know who may be watching and who might need a lift of the heart too.

“Don’t worry about opposition. Remember, a kite rises against the wind, not with the wind.”-Hamilton Wright Mabie

“Two Sisters One Kite” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries January 2, 2015

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment