Friday, March 6, 2015

Counseling in the Night


Photo by: Dee Kamp
 
Counseling in the Night

My shoulders slumped as I read the office hours of the counselor at my son’s school. There they were, the limited office hours, written boldly in big black letters and I was there on the wrong day and time. So I went to the Counselor Jesus promised us. The One who never sleeps, is never too busy and never sets boundaries on the hours in which I can seek Him when I needed it the most.

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name,

will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

John 14:26 NIV

 

I learned a big lesson years ago. Before I step out for counsel, or pick up the phone to call anyone who comes to mind, or to look at self-help books or hundreds of internet sites, I first bend my knees in prayer.

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;

even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me.

Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”

Psalm 16: 7-8 NIV

 

Even in the night the Lord counsels us. Haven’t we all had a sudden solution to a problem come when we slept? I once had a dream where to find my missing watch that was a cherished anniversary gift from my husband.

 For almost one full year I sought anxiously for it and then began to pray in earnest for it. Then one morning I felt inspired to look in the oddest place of all, a place where I would not normally think to consider. I was to look in my husband’s jewelry box! And sure enough there it was. We had been in the midst of moving when it went missing and I must have put it in there in the rush and confusion of packing.

After praying into the night for counseling for our son, by morning I felt inspired to seek a well-liked teacher he had the year before. She was most considerate and insightful helping us with a situation that was not class room related at all and we were able to work things out.

Lessons learned, and counseling received from the Holy Spirit are placed into our hearts when we pray and embedded in our life experiences to share and encourage others.
“Counseling in the Night” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© March 6,

No comments:

Post a Comment