Monday, March 16, 2015

Snug As A Bug In The Rug


Grandmother's 1930's  Biscuit Quilt
 
Snug As A Bug In The Rug

When I was a child my maternal grandparents lived in the same city too.  But when I would go and stay with them it was as if I was staying in another land. A land of peace, safety and tranquility.  

And then with great excitement I waited as one of my favorite moments when my grandmother would tuck the covers of the little bed up in the chilly attic then as promised cover me with the treasured handmade quilt made long before I was born.

I waited for her to say it, then giggle when she did, “You are safe and sound and now snug as a bug in the rug.”

I snuggled deep down, the heavy quilt weighing me down in sheltered rest, grandma’s love and prayers sending me off to untroubled sleep.  I doubt anyone could feel so warm and secure.

 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD make me dwell in safety.”
 
Psalm 4:8 NKJ

Now I know God blessed me with a wonderful grandmother for the security, love and comfort I needed most in those trying years of growing up. But now my greatest security is in God Himself. For no one can be more secure, young or old than in God’s promised care.

And now, as a grandmother too, I yearn to comfort my grandchildren in this troubled world. I pray they will be able to feel secure and watched over and dearly loved. And when we do talk to them, be it Skype, text or even-person to person- I can honestly say, “God is your shelter, your comforter, and you will always be held safe in His everlasting arms― snug as a bug in the rug.”
“Leaning leaning, safe
Safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.”- Hoffan

 

“Snug As A Bug In The Rug” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© March 16, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment