Tuesday, July 2, 2013

God Was on the Fairway




Trees along the Golf Course by Dee Kamp

God Was on the Fairway

 “Come on, you can play in this golf tournament.” the activity director said as I kept shaking my head no. “It’s just a fun time in which all four on a team hit the ball and the team plays the best ball for only nine holes of golf. There’s no pressure at all to win.”

“I’ve only played golf a half dozen times!” I whined to those around me.

“No problem, we just play for fun, no pressure at all,” they all chimed in at once.

I bravely lugged along my not so pro used set of golf clubs and headed for the first tee. The others were comparing their great golf events and the golf-pro guy on our team even claimed, I’ve hit a hole in one on this course. “

To top it all off and as if a reflection of my impending doom at golf, it started to rain. Not a little sprinkle, but a steady down pour! The pro guy said I was to go up first. I squared back my shoulders and pushed up my courage by remembering I had done okay on this hole the day before.  I swung and the ball flew straight up in the air, and then simply disappeared.

 I turned to look at my team and saw them pointing at one of fir trees along the fairway. There firmly wedged between two limbs was my golf ball!  I groaned and felt my face turn red. From the comfort of his fancy golf cart I heard the pro-guy say, “I do believe you’ve just lost your first ball of the day.”  

I muttered to myself, “Lord, I’m truly humbled and low here, I’m praying you show me the purpose of all this soon!” I hadn’t felt this inadequate or clumsy since that unforgettable experience in ninth grade gym class.

The next four attempts to swing and get the golf ball down the course got worse— not better.  I didn’t think it could get any worse until I heard with dismay, “It’s the rules of the tournament your ball must be played and used one time.  Its time, just pick your favorite club and go for it.” 

As I approached the tee to swing I saw out of the corner of my eye the golf-pro guy inching his golf cart safely under a tree away and behind me.  Water dripped from my hat, my glasses were fogged up and my golf glove soaked and stretched nearly slipped off my hand.

I picked up my driver, I swung the club the best I could and to my horror—my golf club flew out of my hands and straight up into the air! I heard my team yell “Duck!”  I guess you don’t yell fore, for flying golf clubs I thought. When at last I lined myself up and swung the ball it bounced not two feet in front of me. I heard them all groan once again.

“But be sure to fear the Lord and faithfully serve him.
Think of all the wonderful things he has done for you.”
1 Samuel 12:24 NLT

After everyone shot their ball quite well, the pro-guy in his cozy cart called out to me, “Get in you’re riding with me now.”

I couldn’t believe he asked me to do this. The fellow, who kept his distance from everyone and had been watching us slosh our way all day, now I saw he was wiping down a dry place in his cart for me to sit. He astounded me even more. From that point on, in the kindest way, gave me golf lessons!  

After awhile this young man began to humbly share his personal life struggles. I knew this was out of character for him and I sat and listened quietly. That’s when I realized this was one of God’s divine appointments. It was from my lowly position that drew sympathy from the heart of this man and God put me in this cart to be used for His purpose today.

I listened to this troubled young man’s story of how in the past two years he quit his job and took on the twenty four hour care of his wife who suffered from cerebral palsy.  This was a perfect job for him so he could be close to her as they lived right on the property and he was available to her needs.  

 “I’ve never regretted giving up my career; my wife is the love of my life. But sometimes I just feel so alone, “he said softly.

I was put close beside this troubled young man for the purpose of listening to his story, to share God’s love for him and to share my story of how God helped me through my husband’s long illness.  

God works in mysterious ways and we can be certain we’ll find Him busy at work, even on the fair way of a golf course. I’ve learned all over again to trust in the Lord even when I am experiencing one of my most embarrassing and humbling moments.  

To my surprise our team came in second in the tournament! In the end we had a good hearted laugh over my status as having the only golf ball stuck in a tree for life. God may not play golf, but we can be certain He is there with us, and when we are on His team— we always win in the end.  

“God Was on the Golf Course” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© July 2, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment