Wednesday, October 23, 2013

An Unexpected Thorn Covered Bush



 Thorn bush in the grass dunes by Dee Kamp
 
An Unexpected Thorn Covered Bush

This winding path to the ocean through the beautiful flowing dune grasses is one of my most favorite walks of all.  For nearly twenty years I’ve walked this particular path but not once did I notice in the midst of the beautiful wheat colored dune grasses a menacing looking dark green bush with long mean thorns.

So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

 Come close to God and God will come close to you.

Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts,

for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.”

James 4:7-8 NLT

 

I didn’t see the invasive plant until a friend who was walking this path for the first time with me pointed it out. I was shocked not I or anyone else in the area saw this nasty plant growing, prospering, and pushing out the natural grasses of the area.

We all know the saying that you can’t see the forest for the trees. And that is true about seeing things, reading things, even wearing things these days that may look okay by the world but  are like a sneaky green thorn bushes undermining our faith and trying to steal our hearts away from God.

 

Without realizing it we may be overlooking a thorn covered bush of immorality trying invade our homes, our families, and our hearts. We need God’s Word, His fresh eyes to point it out every day.

 

O Loving God send your Holy Spirit to me

That He may touch my eyes and make me see

Show me the truth that the world tries to hide

Open Your Word to my heart-it’s my trustworthy guide.

 

“An Unexpected Thorn Covered Bush” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© October 23, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment