Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Its Never Too Late


Photo by Dee Kamp
 
It’s Never Too Late

“Can I pray for you?” I spoke softly to the man lying in his bed at the Veterans Hospital. My voice was shaky and my heart fluttered for I was a brand new Christian back then and I’m not one to be very bold in praying for strangers.

 I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message

 and believe in God who sent me have eternal life.

They will never be condemned for their sins,

but they have already passed from death into life.”

John 5:24 NLT

 
My heart felt a great sadness for this elderly man who was a First World War veteran like my grandfather. They shared a room and many years on common ground. Every time I visited my grandfather he would tell me no one came to see George.  George didn’t look very good to me on this particular day, I felt a big tug in my heart to reach out to him.  

When I spoke to George he turned his head a little and said, “Save your prayers for those who can use them. I’m too messed up and it’s too late for me now.”

I silently prayed to the Lord for the right words and the courage to press on. “George,” I said, “with Jesus, its ever too late. There’s never too much of anything in a person’s life that Jesus is not able to forgive. Will you pray with me now?”

George didn’t say a word, he only nodded his head. I drew up my courage and touched him lightly on his shoulder and watched as he closed his eyes. George didn’t repeat the prayer out loud but just as I finished he sighed deeply and fell sound asleep.

To be bold enough to reach out to a stranger and to share God’s Word is not an easy task for those of us who are shy. I learned an important life lesson that day as a new Christian, God will give us His power to share His truth in His great love.

On my next visit to see Grandpa I was sad to learn George had passed away that very same night after I had prayed with him.

It’s never too late to receive the love and forgiveness of Jesus, it’s never too late for us to reach out to another― it may be the last thing they hear this side of heaven.

 

 

“It’s Never Too Late” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© October 22, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment