Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Heart Heard You First


Photo: Spring Hill Lambs by Dee Kamp
 
My Heart Heard You First

I made the journey to see him as the news was he was fading fast and would soon be home with Jesus. I wasn’t even sure my favorite Uncle Ed would know me or recognize me in his present state of illness.

I dearly loved this old Norwegian uncle who was always full of laughter, made me laugh and told me crazy stories of his childhood growing up on the farm in North Dakota. We had a special bond since my birth.

I called out to him, “Uncle Ed, can you hear me?”

The gatekeeper opens the gate for him,

and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him.

He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

After he has gathered his own flock,

 he walks ahead of them,

 and they follow him

because they know his voice.”

 John 10:3-4 NLT

 

To the surprise of not only me, but those standing nearby, Uncle Ed turnrd his head and in a very weak voice called out, “Deanne! Ya sure, dats you! I heard ya with my heart first!”

Just as the sheep know their shepherd’s voice above all the other voices around them, those who choose to follow Jesus hear and know His voice above all the confusing voices of this world.

Jesus never forgets or loses sight of His sheep and knows us all by name. Our Shepherd never ever forgets the sound of our voice― even if it has been a very long time since we have called out to Him.

Though our ears may not hear above the din of this world, it is our heart that will hear Him first and foremost, it is His heart that will lead us to Him.

“My Heart Heard You First” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© October 9, 2013

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment