Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Up in His Lap





Up in His Lap

I returned one summer day to the small village by the bay where I once worked. As I sat down under the old maple tree on the little bench in the plaza a sweet memory came to me. It’s a heart sweeping memory, a story of love that unfolded right before my eyes

As I was looking out my window at work that day I saw three people getting off the bus across the street. Leading the way was a young woman holding canvas bags in one hand struggling to hold the hand of one lively little girl in a head full of braids and bows. And coming along as best he could to join them, was an elderly man leaning on a cane, wearing a fedora style hat, a well-worn rain coat and heavy shoes despite the warm summer day.

I watched as he sat on the bench and waved to the mother and little girl as they made their way to food bank two doors down. To my surprise as soon as they were out of sight he got up leaning hard on the cane and made his way to the second hand store.

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.” Romans 814-16 NLT

When I happened to looked down at the plaza again, the man I assumed to be the grandfather, was sitting on the bench lifting something out of a plastic bag. I wondered what he had bought for himself. But I was wrong, it wasn’t for himself at all. What he pulled out of the bag made me laugh ―it was a Miss Piggy Doll!

Grandpa held up the doll in front of him turning it around and pulling on the little straw hat to cover a place where Miss Piggy’s ear should have been. Satisfied that all else was in order he quickly tucked it inside the bag. At that moment the little girl came running back with her mother letting loose of her and leaping up on the bench and onto grandfather’s lap.  
Grandfather leaned over and reached down pulling the Miss Piggy doll out of the bag handing it to one very surprised child. She squealed with delight, throwing her arms around him. I wasn’t sure who was happier at that moment― the child or the grandfather
 

The scene reminded me how all of us at some time or another need in this life with its uncertainty need to climb up on our Abba Father’s lap. In those times we are reassured all over again we are His child, He delights in us, and we are dearly loved.

"Up in His Lap" by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries, June 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment