Thursday, April 3, 2014

An Angel Knocking at the Door


Old farm house North Dakota by Dee Kamp
 
 
An Angel Knocking at the Door

            Sometimes, if prompted, when we were alone and sharing a task from canning to crocheting, my Norwegian maternal grandmother would tell her story of living out the hard times in North Dakota as a young mother with four small children.

            It was the Great Depression and one had to be strong and resourceful.  But I remember so well one particular story when Grandma was home alone and Grandpa was away out of town for work when she all four children were very sick with the flu.

            She was barely managing and she was so sick and weak that one day when a persistent knocking kept coming from her front door she had to crawl across the floor to get there!  She spoke of it in a whisper and shook her head at the memory of how surprised she discovered there.  

Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.

Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him.” Luke 22:43 NLT

 

            As Grandma spoke her Norwegian accent became more pronounced and she said, “Oh, ufta, it took all I had to open dat door. I was so ashamed how weak I was and what a mess I must look like, oh ya for sure. But when I did, I was certain God heard my prayers and He had sent an angel. There stood a woman who said she was from our church. But I couldn’t remember her at all. She had basket in her arms filled with fresh baked bread and a large container of hot soup enough for us all. Oh ya, for sure, I was taken aback, for I hadn’t told anyone we were all sick― but ya sure, don’t you know? The Lord knew it well enough.”

            Let us pray to Jesus when we are weak and afraid, for He too found it necessary to pray for strength when He was on earth. Pray to the Holy Spirit, who will impress the truth on our heart that we are never alone, God will hear us and uphold us, (Isaiah 41:10). It’s as necessary as the food we eat and the air we breathe.

            Only then will we be able to submit ourselves fully to the will of God and day by day discover how He will keep His promise when we pray to Him, to sustain us, strengthen us and He may even surprise us with an angel knocking at our door.

 

“An Angel Knocking at the Door” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© April 3, 2014

 

No comments:

Post a Comment