Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Rich In Ways Money Can't Buy

Photo by Dee Kamp

Rich In Ways Money Can’t Buy

            From the first time people first settled here where I live along miles of forest land, there have been mini-farms with bountiful gardens, summer get-away cabins, fishing and hunting camps, retreats and campgrounds.

            But now new homes are being built and old ones remodeled into grand homes, and huge estates that are expansive, modern, and expensive in stature. I guess the rich and famous have discovered our land here for its beautiful panoramic views.  

But still the old timers, the simple and the humble who have tilled the land remain here every hopeful and hearty in their shadows. And from them I gained great wisdom on what makes one happy.

             You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart, he is mine forever.” Psalm 73:22-25 NLT

            My elderly neighbors, who have lived in this area more than forty years, captured the truism of Asaph’s wise words when they said to me years ago, “We feel like we live in the little house on the prairie next to them big fancy homes. But we still enjoy and appreciate God’s creation. We still fish and hunt and plant our gardens and gather our eggs. We don’t envy them. We are rich in ways money can’t buy.”  

            Asaph realized, and then shared with us, (Psalm 73:1-28) that those who put their hope and confidence in their wealth and what they themselves can do, live in a dream world. The reality of true contentment and happiness for every heart, is one dependent on God alone, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

            “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.” St. Augustine

“Rich In Ways Money Can’t Buy” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© April 2, 2014

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment