Friday, February 7, 2014

Coincidences and Chipmunks


Chipmunk on the stump by Dee Kap

Coincidences and Chipmunks

Quiet and calm are normally my predawn mornings. While I sit in my chair by the big glass sliding door to our patio I read my Bible, talk life over with God and journal to my heart’s content.  But this one morning I was not only surprised by one chipmunk’s antics but also by the coincidence of Scripture I had just read.

God’s way is perfect. All the LORD’s promises prove true.
                                    He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.” 2 Samuel 22:31 NLT


           As those words from 2 Samuel 22:31 were speaking such peace and trust in my heart, something caught my attention outside the glass sliding door.

There staring eye to eye at me was a chipmunk sitting on top of the deck chair with his body stretched out and his front paws pressed up against the window.  Suddenly he startled me by flinging himself hard against the window! There for a few seconds he seemed to be stuck in place on the glass with a wild frightened stare and every hair on his little body was standing straight up on end.

I laughed at him frozen there on the window. I thought he looked much like those stuffed animals people hang up in their car windows with little suction cups.  Then in slow motion the little weird chipmunk began to slip down the window and with an indignant flick of his tail he scattered away.

My eyes went back to my Bible and my next thought was; did God just show me an example of what His shield around us is like? That it’s invisible to the eye but very real indeed?         

For those who believe and trust in God, the heart will see Him in divine appointments and in unexpected coincidences. These are the times God uses the ordinary, the simple things in our life to remind us to turn our hopes, our fears, and our whole life over to Him. It’s good to know and rely on His promises and that God is our shield—even from crazy chipmunks.

“There are no real coincidences in life for those with faith strong enough to recognize coincidences for what they really are: intricate pieces of the providential design God created for each of our lives” —Delia Parr, Love’s First Bloom

 

“Coincidences and Chipmunks” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© February 7, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment