Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine Moonlight Surprise


Country roses on split rail fence by Dee Kamp
 
When love is shared, joy is doubled. Spontaneous acts of love for one another is God’s greatest desire for us.

On a last minute impulse in 2007 I entered a local newspaper’s writing contest. It was to be the most unusual and romantic Valentine experience while living in Jefferson County here on the Olympic Peninsula.

This story took place just months after we had purchased our little country store and times were tough, the hours were long― all seven days of the week. I had come from a corporate position in Seattle to now where I was pumping gas, shelving groceries and mopping floors at closing time.

But we had a dream, we loved what we were doing, we had Jesus, and each other.

I didn’t tell my dear husband I was sending a story about him in the local newspaper, after all I didn’t think I’d win. Well you know what I always say about the Lord, I am constantly caught off guard by His heavenly surprises. To my amazement I won first place in the contest!

Everyone loves romance, everyone needs love, especially when times are tough, and especially when you least expect it.

 

So now I am giving you a new commandment:

 Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.

Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

 John 13:34-35

 

Valentine Moonlight Surprise

Twenty years ago my husband and I worked long days and nights running the Beaver Valley country store that we had just bought. That first winter was tough as we both put in sixteen hour days. 

That first Valentine’s Day night as I wearily mopped the floors, my husband completed other closing up chores.  By 10 at night the highway traffic disappeared and we welcomed the silence interrupted only by the hoot of a big barn owl.  Suddenly I stopped and listened.  Yes, there was music playing outside. I grumbled to myself as I opened up the door for some late customer.  But no one was there and not a car in sight.  I stepped outside and in the bright moonlight saw my husband leaning against the porch rail. He pointed to the little radio jammed in the open window and then bowed low and reached for my hand.

            “Happy Valentine’s Day, my dear. May I have this dance?”

            A wave of delight swept over me as the weariness melted and I took his hand. And right in the middle of that deserted highway we danced our cares away on our own private dance floor with our own private moon shining just for us.

 

“Valentine Moonlight Surprise” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© February 14, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment