Thursday, February 20, 2014

When I'm on My Knees




 
When I’m on My Knees

The uncommon silence of my mid-week visit to church was a bit of a surprise to me. But then most things about church back then were unknown to me as a brand new Christian who rarely had attended church in my past. It was always at the busy times, like Easter and Christmas.
 But God was now leading me into new and surprising areas of faith.

I had some paper work to deliver to the secretary and I had lost my way looking for the office. On the next turn I suddenly found myself looking into children’s Sunday school rooms.

But before I turned around to search for the office again I thought I heard someone singing in the children’s nursery.  Curious I wandered down and looked through the open door. What I saw next stopped in my tracks. Oh I knew it was not uncommon to see someone on their hands and knees scrubbing the floor, but what surprised me most was who was doing it.

My Life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection.

That’s why I can never stop praising you; I declare your glory all day long.”

Psalm 71:7-8 NLT
From the first time I met her, I thought her stunningly beautiful and always dressed so lovely. She arrived at church in a sleek Jaguar and I could tell she was from a prominent family. She was kind to everyone, made me feel welcome every time I saw her.

But I never expected to see this elegant woman now on her hands and knees merrily scrubbing away on the children’s nursery floor!

“Hello” I said softly, so as to not startle her.

“Oh!” she said as she stood up wiping her hands on a towel and smiling warmly at me.

 “You’ve caught me! This is my secret with the Lord, don’t tell on me. I love coming here when no one else is around. The Lord has done so much for me that this is my small way of giving something back to Him. And you know, it seems I’m never closer to Him than when I am on my knees.”

Prominence, status and wealth do not shield one from life’s hardships, sorrows and disappointments. Hard things in life just happens to everyone and her story really touched my heart.

It was not long after this that I too had an unwelcome experience of the extreme kind. But I remembered this woman and how she shared all God had done for her, and it gave me hope and comfort knowing I could trust it all to the Lord. Soon it would my turn to share with others all He had done for our family.

On that day I discovered a lesson for life―we are always closer to God when we are on our knees whether it’s in prayer or washing a floor.

“When I’m on My Knees” by Dee Kamp, Grace Every Morning Ministries© February 20, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment